According to a national survey performed by the American Pet Products Association, more than half of American households have a pet.
The relationship between humans and animals has always been a key part of civilization.
Cave drawings from thousands of years ago reveal some of mankind’s earliest records of humans domesticating animals.
In times of losing a beloved dog, it may be comforting to imagine all the wonderful things they would say to you now if given the chance.
Below, we offer the list of dogs’ prayers and special messages for their grieving human (or humans). You’ll also find ways to remember and honor your precious pet.
- You will always be my human, and I will always be your dog. For every day we shared, for every hug and kiss, thank you. If I could pray for just one thing, it would be that you know how much I love you.
- I pray that you’ll never forget me and you’ll know how much your love means to this dog in Heaven. You were the best family I could have ever asked for. Every happy memory is shared with you. Every happy day of my life was because of you. I can’t wait for the day when you’ll take me in your arms once more.
- Do not mourn my passing, for if you could only see, by slipping all my earthly bonds, I’m young again and free. By day I run the heavenly fields, my body healthy and strong. At night I sleep at angels’ feet, lulled by celestial song. So do not mourn my passing. Just close your eyes — you’ll see. I’m once again that frisky pup, just as you remember me.
- I know how much you miss me. I know your heart is sore. I see the tears that fall when I’m not waiting at the door. You always did your best for me. Your love was plain to see. For even though it broke your heart, you set my spirit free. So please be brave without me. One day we’ll meet once more. For when you’re called to Heaven, I’ll be waiting at the door.
- My prayer is that you will know how greatly you filled my life with joy and love. Know that I am forever grateful, and I will wait patiently for you just on the other side.
- Beloved Master, I watch over you every day. If only you could see me walking beside you still. I love you so much, and I always will.
- To my human [mama/daddy], when tomorrow starts without me, don’t think we’re far apart. For every time you think of me, I’m right here inside your heart.
- Every time you reach for me, I will be there. Though you can’t feel it, my head will be in your hand, reassuring you that everything is going to be okay.
- The hardest thing about being your dog was saying goodbye, but I know — and I pray you do, too — that the day will come when we’ll first say “hello” to each other once more.
- Since I’ve no voice with which to speak, it’s whispers in your dreams I’ll make. Ease your heart and rest your mind. My time with you was the best kind. I couldn’t have asked for a better friend. We’ve shared our journey to the very end. There’s one final thing you need to know, I’ll whisper in your ear before I go… “I’m leaving first to find the way, so I can lead you back here with me on your last day.”
- It’s hard to be apart, but thank you for loving and caring for me all my life. I pray God blesses you for all you’ve done for me and grants you peace until I hear your voice calling to me once more.
- Remember me with smiles, not tears, for all the joy through all the years. Recall the closeness that was ours, a love as sweet as fragrant flowers. Don’t dwell on thoughts that cause you pain. We’ll see each other once again.
- I pray you know that I love you more than anything in the world, including myself, and that you feel my love as I watch over you always from Heaven.
- Remember the day you decided to be my human? You gave me a home, a family, and all the love I could ever want. It was the best day of my life, but I know that the day you join me in Heaven will be even better.
- I always prided myself in being your guard dog. Now I pride myself in being your guardian angel.
- We’ll meet again in Heaven. Until then, I miss you more than words can say.
- My prayer is that you’ll remember everything I taught you. Be kind, be forgiving, love others selflessly, and find all the joy hidden in life.
- We may not be together in the way we used to be. We are still connected by a cord no eye can see. So whenever you need to find me, we’re never far apart, if you look beyond the horizon and listen with your heart.
- I came to you late last night to be with you while you slept. I lay my head on your pillow while next to me, you wept. A gentle smile kissed your lips as I licked away a tear. Until your time to join me, I’ll be waiting through the years.
- Not all angels have wings. Some of us have four paws and watch over you faithfully and full of eternal love until the very end.
- What a view I have from here. I see your face. I feel you near. I follow you throughout the day. You’re not alone along the way. And when God calls, you will be right by my side, right here with me. Until then, I’ll wait by Heaven’s door. We’ll be reunited evermore!
- Until we meet again, my prayers are for your happiness and that the time we’re apart will not feel very long.
- Talk to me. I hear you, though you may not see. We share an unbroken bond that will always be. Death won’t keep us apart, for our love is forever. Just remember me in your heart, and one day we will be together. Live your life and live it full; don’t waste a single day. Remember, I am always with you every step of the way.
Ways to Remember and Honor Your Pet
Losing a cherished pet is hard, especially when they were an essential part of your family. Moving past this loss can take time and effort.
In addition to words of peace and love from your dog, here are some ideas for things you can do in loving memory of your pet:
- Raise money for charity. The list of animals in need of a home is neverending. One way to honor your dog is to raise money to donate to a local animal shelter in your dog’s name.
- Create a memory box. It’s human nature for memories to fade over time. You may want to take the time to sit down and write or type all your favorite memories about your dog. Gather his or her special toys, blanket, food bowl, etc., and find a box that’s just the right size to hold everything. Make sure to include your memories and some special photos of your dog, as well as any prayers or messages from our list that you found especially meaningful.
- Hold a memorial service. This gives members of the family a chance to gather and share their feelings to help each other heal. You may want to invite friends who knew and loved your dog, as well.
- Add something to your yard to serve as a reminder. If your dog spent many an hour basking in the sun and braving harsh weather in your yard, you may want to plant a tree or add a decoration that will always remind you of your best friend. This could be wind chimes, stepping stones, or yard decor. You could also do this on a balcony if you live in an apartment or similar housing.
- “Hal’s Best Finds,” Pinterest
- “Kayli Shop,” Pinterest
- “Gift for Grieving Pet Owner Gift for Grieving Dog Mom,” Etsy
- “The Way,” Pinterest
- “Remember Me Dog Memorial Premium Canvas,” Family Gifts Co.
- “57 Heartbreaking Loss of Dog Quotes & Images,” Sympathy Message Ideas
- “Helping Children to Cope With the Loss of a Family Pet,” Young Veterinary Partnership
- “Pet Loss and Bereavement Archives,” Animal Health Foundation
- “Pet Loss Gifts,” Personalized Fury