Life can be difficult, especially when facing severe issues like oppression and racism, on top of the everyday stresses of work, studying, or parenting. Unfortunately, this can have a negative impact on mental health and self-esteem.
Affirmations are one way to promote positivity in your life. Saying or hearing positive affirmations can build self-confidence, as well as reduce anxiety and promote a happier, healthier life.
A great example of the power of words was seen in 1971 when Reverend Jesse Jackson recited his poem “I Am — Somebody” on national television. Originally written as part of a program designed to motivate Black students, the poem not only encouraged students when it aired but led to the publication of a book and continues to inspire people to this day.
In addition, affirmations and words of understanding given to a spouse promote feelings of gratitude and positivity, strengthening your relationship.
Below, we have the list of positive affirmations for Black husbands. You can also check out our tips for how to pick the best one for your special guy or how to create your own below the list.
- With those powerful hands, you could touch the stars.
- There is everlasting strength in being who you are.
- You deserve everything and more.
- God created you as he wants you to be. There’s nothing greater than that.
- Be proud of your culture; I am.
- Keep holding your gorgeous head high.
- The color of your skin is magnificent.
- Don’t slow down. Don’t back down. You’re a strong Black man — the strongest man I’ve ever known.
- You won’t fail because I’m with you to the end.
- Our unity is our greatest strength.
- I’ve always felt safest and happiest in your strong arms.
- We’ll create your unique destiny together.
- You are a noble, honest, hard-working, ever-loving Black father. There is no higher honor.
- You are Black and powerful and the greatest blessing in my life.
- You are my happiness.
- Remember your roots, and you will flourish.
- We’re all human, and you’re my favorite of them all.
- The color of your skin doesn’t determine who you are, which happens to be someone extraordinary.
- You have evolved into something marvelous.
- You look as good as the first time I laid eyes on you.
- What would I ever do without you?
- You are capable of anything and everything.
- You’re my hero, greater than the Black Panther.
- Being married to you is the greatest honor of my life.
- Seeing you is the best part of every day.
- Thanks for the smile you put on my face.
- The strength and inspiration you’ve given your family are greater than any outside force.
- You are my eternity.
- You are the embodiment of Black excellence.
- You make this house a home.
- You’re one of a kind; never change.
- I’m proud of you today and every day.
- You faced that like a warrior.
- Win or lose, you’re always first in my heart.
- My love for you will never change.
- You’re unstoppable.
- My heart still flutters when you walk into a room.
- I love you because… [add a personal reason].
- Thank you for everything you’ve sacrificed for me.
- You’re a positive role model for so many young Black men.
- Life would be pointless without you.
- You are my inspiration.
- I love you more than [insert your favorite food, hobby, etc.].
- You’re going to do an amazing job.
- You’re everything to me.
- You can conquer anything.
- Home is wherever you are.
How to Create or Choose the Best Affirmations for Your Husband
Knowing what to say when you love someone so much and want to offer genuinely heartfelt and impactful words can be challenging.
Here are a few ideas for choosing or creating the best affirmation to offer your husband:
- Consider what’s troubling him. If something’s been bothering your husband, make a list of inspirational sayings specific to his needs. Say them out loud when you’re alone, and choose the one to which you feel the strongest reaction.
- Get inspiration from the experts. There’s a plethora of online resources by therapists and doctors that can help you understand your husband and get your message across clearly. History is an excellent source of inspiration, too. Words borrowed from Black men and women who made a tremendous difference or are your husband’s heroes may be just what you need.
- Remember when… It always feels good to be reminded of the great things you’ve done or the things someone else loves most about you. Listing your favorite things about your husband or the things he’s accomplished can work wonders.
- Write him a letter. Putting an affirmation down on paper so he can carry it around in his wallet or keep it handy for tough times can be a constant reminder that you’re there for him no matter what.
- Use your own unique humor. If you two share an inside joke, a special memory, or your own song, you can use these ideas to create puns that will get him smiling or a mantra made just for him.