An internship provides invaluable work experience to someone who’s new in a particular field of work for reduced or no pay.
It allows workers to learn about their trade firsthand, make important professional connections, and gives them an edge over competitors when seeking a permanent position.
In addition, statistics show that graduates who’ve completed internships are more likely to find full-time jobs with potentially higher pay.
On the flip side, employers are able to evaluate potential employees without the pressure of commitment.
They also gain the fresh perspective of a student and have the opportunity to receive useful feedback from the younger generation.
If you recently worked or currently work with an outstanding intern, be sure to thank them for all their efforts. It will mean a lot — and, if you’re considering hiring them in the future, they’ll be more likely to want to work for a company that appreciates them.
Below, we have the list of things to say in a thank you note to an intern, as well as tips for writing your own.
- [Ms./Mr.] [intern’s surname], as you finish your internship with us, we want to say thank you. I have found your work ethic and endless curiosity to be very refreshing. You have a bright future in the [field of work] arena, and I hope you don’t lose vision of the ultimate goal. You can also expect a good reference letter from this [firm/company].
- As we prepare to say goodbye, I would like to thank you for all your hard work. I hope you found your time with us enjoyable and educational. You can count on us for a positive reference as you go forward in life. Best of luck to you, and thanks again.
- It was an honor to have you work as an intern with us. Your work ethic and attention to detail were very impressive. I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors and hope this won’t be the last we see of you.
- [Intern’s name], thank you for your service during these past few months that you’ve been interning with us… According to our company’s records, you’ve been a wonderful employee. I believe you have what it takes to achieve all of those dreams that you have, so I want you to keep working hard!
- I believe I speak for everyone when I say thank you for all you’ve done during your internship at [business name]. I have only seen and heard good things about you. I hope your time here was as enjoyable for you as it was for us.
- A big thank you to a wonderful intern! Thank you for all your hard work and friendly manner. We really enjoyed having you as an intern!
- We’re fortunate to have you on board, and we predict a great future for you. Thanks for being a fantastic and upbeat intern.
- This is the last day of your internship with us. Regardless of whether you got to work on a major case or not, I hope you have learned something from your time with us. It has been great for the entire team to have you here, and we thank you for all of the energy that you brought to work every day.
- For any aspiring doctor, any chance at getting close to the real action is the ultimate opportunity. I hope you have maximized this opportunity while interning with us. Now, as your internship ends, I wish to express my thanks to you for your resilience and team-player attitude, which was present from the very beginning. I think both traits are very important to have in the medical field, and you will do just fine in the future; we believe that. Good luck!
- Thank you to a wonderful intern. Your hard work and great attitude are really appreciated. We enjoy having you with us.
- I’d like to express my gratitude to you for your time spent as an intern here at [place of business]. I hope you gained valuable knowledge and experience and will continue your path in the [career field] industry. I look forward to receiving updates on where life takes you.
- I just wanted to drop a note to say how impressed I was with your hard work as an intern for us. You showed creativity, determination, and the drive necessary to make it in this industry. Keep up the good work, and I know you will accomplish great things. Thank you for everything, and know that you can count on a highly favorable recommendation from us.
- You were an enormous help, and we appreciate you interning with us. Thanks for being a great intern!
- For all your hard work and dedication, for your helpfulness and positive attitude, thank you! We truly enjoyed having you intern with us. Best of luck to you for a bright future.
- [Intern’s name], thank you for doing a great job interning with us. Everyone on your team was very impressed. Keep us in mind when you’re ready to seek out permanent employment.
- Congratulations on completing your internship with us. I don’t say this to every intern, but I think you have the right makeup to be a successful [job title]. It’s a good trait to have, and I hope you can continue expanding your horizons through more experiences in other [relevant establishments], wherever possible. From me and my fellow associates at [place of business], we want to thank you and wish you good luck for the future!
- Thank you for bringing your positive energy and insight to [place of business] as an intern. I’d like to offer you some advice by sharing a quote from Steve Jobs. “The only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.”
- The “fax” are — you’re a terrific intern. Thanks again for interning with us.
as in “the facts are”
- A truly amazing intern is hard to find, difficult to part with, and impossible to forget. Thank you for everything you do. May you be proud of the work you do, the person you are, and the difference you make.
- To an amazing intern — The work you do will never be forgotten… One person can make all the difference, and that person is you. Thank you for everything that you do.
- The next time we hire an intern, we will look [for] someone like you. Your commitment to the organization, even as an intern, has been impressive. Thank you for your brilliant service.
- You are one-of-a-kind, and we will all miss you. We wish you a promising career and a happy life. Thank you for your contributions.
- We are so glad to have had you as our intern and hope that the journey will now be smoother for you. We are confident that you will not only survive but thrive as a professional in your field.
- We are writing you this letter to show our gratitude for having had you work as an intern here at [business name]. You have done a great job… Interns are key players for many businesses. And you have given the best of yourself to our organization.
- Thank you for being a great intern. Your [positive] attitude, friendly manner, and helpful ways were so appreciated!
- Thank you for bringing your bright ideas and fresh energy to our workplace! You did a super job as an intern.
- Thanks for all your hard work. You certainly have the talent and capabilities to make it in the [industry] world. Best of luck!
How to Write the Perfect Thank You Note to an Intern
While your intern will appreciate any note of thanks, a personalized note will be even more meaningful.
If you’d prefer to create a thank you note customized to a standout intern, keep these helpful hints in mind.
- Let your personality shine through, and be sincere. Use real language, just as you would if you were speaking directly to the intern. Writing in a natural tone is more enjoyable to read and will show your sincerity.
- Give specific reasons for why you’re thankful. If the intern had certain work habits or completed special tasks that caused you to take notice, be sure and mention them. It will make the message more personal and prevent it from seeming like a static thank-you letter sent to all the interns who’ve worked for you.
- Offer helpful advice. If you know of a company you believe would be a perfect match for the intern, add that to the note. This is also a good time to share advice on how to nail an interview or other secrets of the trade.
- “25 of the Sincerest Thank You Notes that Any Interns Like,” Tosaylib
- “Thank You Wonderful Intern Wildflowers Watercolor Illustration Card,” Greeting Card Universe
- “Amusing Thanks to Intern Cartoon,” Greeting Card Universe
- “Business Thank You for Intern card,” Greeting Card Universe
- “Intern Gift Necklace Gifts Gift for Intern Thank You Gift,” Etsy
- “Intern Gift Intern Appreciation Gift Thank You Gift Best,” Etsy
- “Inspiring Thank You Messages for Internship,” Thank You Quotes For You
- “Intern Farewell Letter: 4 Templates,” Writolay
- “Thank You For Being a Great Intern Teal White Yellow Stripe,” Greeting Card Universe